Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Cycling

Went to join the trifam people for a ride in the evening. It was a tough call for me really. Tuesday's my running day and cycling would mean i can't run with the TP people. Hmm.. But i figured i really needed to clock the mileage for my rides. Among the 3 disciplines, cycling's the toughest for me. Maybe coz i never used to ride before. So, i suppose, it made more sense for me to join a group to bike then to run. But i did manage a short run before riding. So i guess my ipod is pacified. It has not clocked any mileage for 3 weeks. Hee
Cycling was a very humbling experience. It was even worse then when i first started running or swimming. I was so far off the pack of cyclist that when i was just 1/4 way done, the rest were 3/4 way done. And i was pedaling as hard and as fast as i could. There were times where i felt my head was going to burst from the lack of oxygen going into my body. And the fastest speed i managed was just 31km/h. Lasted about a minute. Haa... I did my best, and i tried not to take any of the short cuts, although i probably did for my first round, coz i didn't know where to turn. And this guy told me to turn and i did. Will do better the following week i suppose.
It was a great workout really. Except at the back of my mind, i'm really wondering if it is possible to ever be as fast as those guys. How many times a week do they train? What kind of training do they do? Guess it's time to head to the bookstore or library and get some books specific to biking and find out more and incorporate it into my training. I figured it makes lots of sense coz in any triathlon race, from sprint, to OD, to ironman, the bike leg is really the longest. Need to work on getting my bike fitness up as well.
Was really thankful to Jerry for riding with me and watching my back. But honestly, i felt really bad. I better improve faster. If not, he is unlikely to get any better as well. He has been really motivating and encouraging from our runs at TP to my first cycling experience today with the ENR people. Well, i suppose we could always do with a few more people like him in this world. And yet, i feel bad coz when people show up for training, they generally want to push themselves so that they get better. If he is constantly riding slow just so he can watch my back or take care of me in both cycling and running, then i guess it's not really fair to him. ARGHHHHH.. better train harder. Will head to borders or kino tomorrow and see if i can find anything about biking. I'm totally clueless. Not even sure which gears i should engage.
Went for dinner with some of them after cycling. Lots and lots of food it was scary. Then again, i'm one of those weird people that usually don't have appetite after training. But when i get back home and lie on my bed, like Now, i feel hungry.. =P Anyway, all in all, i had fun. It was refreshing, humbling and a great experience. Will i go back for more? Probably. If i can get the van....

No comments: