Friday, February 15, 2008

Happy Valentine's Day

It's been more then 3 years since i last started posting. I remember a Valentine's Day post that i did once. If my memory didn't fail me, i started this blog coz i wanted to vent some frustrations about COW.
3 Years down the road, i would say i spent a rather nostalgic Valentine's Day today. Why nostalgic? Coz it reminded me of the Valentine's Day i spent in 1997. It was RJC's cross country that year. Please don't ask me why they decided to hold cross country on that day. Maybe coz non of the other schools booked MacRitchie that year. And 11 years on, i'm back to running and i spent the day training. Not so much competition, but i spent the evening in the good company of new found friends and people who come together because they have a similar passion. Running!
I don't particularly love running. But i guess i'm alright at it. Running takes a lot of work, a lot of mileage. And for all the food that i put in my mouth, the no. of calories i burn during a run sure doesn't add up. But anyway, had an easy session today. Started with a 1.2km warm up, then 4 sets of about 1.1km. (5.31, 5.34, 5.45, 6.14) Yes. I notice a huge jump from the 3rd set to the 4th set. But, i was darn tired by then, and it took sheer will power and strength to finish the last set. Although i am sure if had pushed harder in the first round, i would probably clock a better timing. But then, i didn't. So no point thinking of the what if...
Oh before i forget, although Valentine's Day is officially over, Happy Valentine's to everyone. Then again, if you treasure those around you and show them you love them, then everyday is a Valentine's Day rite? Hee
But i guess the thing that has been on my mind today is really how come sometimes, the things people say in passing just stay on in your head way after the person has said it? I heard two comments today. One of which i liked, coz it was positive, and one which irritated me coz it wasn't so positive. I've always been an athlete. I would think almost all my life since i knew how to walk. I might not always win, or come in first, but one thing i know for sure, i always give my best in races and competition. And i train hard, sometimes harder then others around me, just so i can do better each time. I would say i'm lucky to have started young, to have built a strong base over the years. I'm also lucky to have long legs and decent length arms that help in my running and swimming. But, don't take away the credit from me. I put in many more hours then the average joe to get to where i am.
People around me have mentioned that i have improved. I like that. I like improvement. But i also know the curve starts off steeply before it flattens out. But while the average joe runs twice a week, i run more. I run harder. I push myself harder. Yes, one reason is because i have the means to do so, the other is just because i believe i can achieve much more.
There are others in the group that have been running for years. And they probably can do longer runs then i can. After all, the longest run i have done till date since i started training was 11.3km. So if i can keep the pace for 11.3km, then in my book, i'm doing good. And just because some other guy has been running for a long time, doesn't mean anything to me. Maybe i've got better built. Maybe i'm more athletic. Maybe i just put in more hours. Maybe i push harder. I don't know if i can do the same pace for 20km or 43km for that matter. I haven't even done my first marathon.
Anyway, if you've read my rantings this far, then the story above was about the not so positive comment. I mentioned i would like to have a base program at training today. When i started joining the recreational group, they told me that it would take me 6 months to join the main group. That it takes 6 months of conditioning and to build base. I totally agree. I would never want to jump the gun, injure myself, sit out for the rest of the season and not progress. So am i wrong in saying that maybe going back to the recreational group might be a good idea?
Oki, after i've wrote it out and put things in perspective, it seems silly now. But thats me.
Somehow, i feel tired today. More tired then i usually am.. Hmmmm
Write more tomorrow.. Nitez

No comments: