Saturday, February 16, 2008

Jittery, nervous and excited all rolled up

Didn't do very much today. Woke up with a horrible neck ache. And felt really tired. So decided to skip another day of workout and give myself much needed rest. So went back to sleep only to wake up at about 11am. Was still tired then. Not sure if i was tired coz i over slept or what. But had a really weird dream. In the dream, i was first training with the Safra people. Then suddenly, there was a switch of scene to a race then i had when i was in primary school. In the middle of the race, i felt like i had phlegm stuck in my throat. And somehow, i just couldn't get rid of it. I tried coughing really hard a few times, but didn't work. I woke up at that point. Hee.. Not sure what it means. Anyway, there was never such a race. But i remember in the dream, all my primary school team mates were present. But we were all grown up. Hmmm.. weird
Anyway, had lunch, then decided i needed to sort out the neck ache. So went for a massage. It was so so painful. Obviously i was aching quite badly and my muscles were really tired. Just that i didn't really know it. I just know i spent half the massage screaming in agony. The lady was pretty relentless. She just kept up whatever she was doing, all the time telling me that she hasn't used any strength yet. But all in all a rather interesting experience. Coz she stepped all over me. I doubt it helped my aching neck very much. But now my back feels like it can take a cow. She was pretty huge. Hee
Then went over to Superman's place to pai nian. He has been complaining that i have not gone to his place yet this Chinese New Year and his mum was asking as well, how come this year i didn't pop by. So went there, chatted a bit with Auntie and the wife. Superman was SLEEPING. Well, stayed till he woke. Didn't spend very much time chatting coz he was rushing off to Chingay. And after that, went to Balestier to check out some bikes, before heading to meet bro for dinner. Had dinner at Botak Jones. Meal was so-so only. But still think the beef is value for money. The cajun chicken was average. Probably won't order it again. But the burger was good, the ribeye was average. The US prime was really good. I didn't eat all of those today lah, just a consolidation from over the last few trips there. =)
in about 12 hours time, i would be in the middle of my race. NUS biathlon. And that explains for the title of this post. I'm jittery, nervous yet excited all rolled up in one. Please don't ask me how this is possible. I think i've never really liked to go into any of my races being unprepared. But i'm certain i'm really quite unprepared for tomorrow's race. It's a sea swim. And from all the horror stories i've heard about getting kicked, elbowed, goggles coming out in the sea, it surely is scaring me quite a bit. So after 2 laps of 750m, it will be the dreaded 10km run for me. I've done a total of 2 >10km run. One was exactly 10km, the other was 11.3km. There was one other run that was pretty close to 10km, but shy of a few metres. And all these runs, were done with sufficient rest and just go run, then finish run, stretch and rest. So tomorrow would be my serious first swim, plus run. And since i only have 2 previous run under my belt, i feel really unprepared. I can't even come up with a strategy for the run except to say i'm just going to run. Sounds silly.
So that accounts for the jittery and nervous part. The excitement part? Well, its a race. Races always excited me. =) I have this thing about competitions. Adrenaline is up, everything just looks brighter. And all those hours spent running and swimming makes it seem worthwhile during a race. And for this race, i actually have a number bib. The last time i wore a number bib was super duper long ago. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that i don't come in last tomorrow. Just have to stay focused and do my part. Will be starting the run at about 10.30, so it will be a hot run. Hopefully the sun doesn't shine in full force tomorrow. Coz truth be told, i have yet to run under the sun. Most of my runs are in the early morning, the late evenings or in the gym with the aircon. All righty.. Going to call it a night coz i seem to be constantly tired lately. Will update about the race tomorrow after i get back.
Cheers

No comments: