Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Do people really want the truth

Its funny how people in general claim that they all want the truth. But then again, how come the truth hurts and then people regret that they ever asked for the truth in the first place. I was victim to a truth session earlier on in the evening. 4 friends chilling out, when all of a sudden the taboo topic was brought up.
J: What do you see in Tour Guide? I mean, if you want my honest opinion, both of you are not compatible. And more importantly, he doesn't even like you. Not in the romantic sense at least. Read it from his body language. --> waves hand madly.. Hello.. i didn't ask for your honest opinion here..
S: Ya. I agree. He looks like my father's brother. By that i mean like an Uncle. I mean he's so much older then you, doesn't even look handsome. --> Handsome? Do i really look like i've been searching for a stud all my life? You mean i've been potraying such a shallow outlook? Or is it just you talking?

Ouch! Where did that come from. Are looks really that important? Are we really living in a world that is so shallow? Whatever happened to wit, intelligence, charm. Are all these really secondary to LOOKS?

Me: Well, i guess he's intelligent, witty and charming. Just what i like in a man. And i guess i like him for more then the outward appearance.

I knew i was tredding on dangerous grounds. My friends weren't wrong. I mean, they did speak the truth. But how do you define and explain attraction? Is it chemistry gone wrong? Is it more to that? If i were such a guru, i would have published a book and made my millions years ago. So i admit. I'm no guru and the answer has evaded me for the longest of time.

J: Well, i really think he's not interested in you at all lah. I mean he seems like a rather westernised man. And all that hand holding and kissing, in my opinion, is just his character. Nothing to it. A girl can tell straight off if the guy is interested. Can't you?

If i knew the answer to that bloody question, i would have gotten my own answer like a year ago. Would i have had to wait till now for my answer? Not very perceptive are we?

Not like i didn't have a million other things on my mind, plus the Zzzz monster was all ready to take over, our usual chill out session turned from pleasant, to not-so-pleasant. And the best part was, i didn't even start the topic. But on the flipside, i know they just care. No one wants to see me hurt. So i guess, they meant well. But is it all that bad to live in my fantasy world for a while. All fantasies must end. And so is this the cruel ending? Where the prince does not find Cinderella, or when he fails to find Snow White..

Oh well, Superman's birthday is just round the corner. For a while i thought of what to buy for him. He is after all so special in my life. But apparently tickets to concerts do not come cheap these days. Weighing the op cost of it, if he goes, i don't. Kinda feel like buying him one ticket and buying myself the other. But then, it wouldn't be nice would it? I guess i better start saving. Weather forecast: Rainy days and thunderstorms ahead.
Tour Guide smsed again to ask when Superman's birthday is. For someone that has stored the date into his O2 mini twice, i would recommend that he toss it out of the window. Not before telling me which window he is tossing it out of. Anyway, he said he wanted to get Superman something. And i asked that we share. I guess it's good to be rich.
Me: So what's your budget like?
TG: Anything lah. You buy and we split half. You have any idea?
Me: Well, tot of buying him tickets to Jacky Cheung's concert.
TG: So what are the tickets like?
Me: From 98 to 228.
TG: Quite pricey eh, but you pay how much i pay how much lor.
Now this brings a whole new problem into the equation. I mean, Superman is my Superman. I spent 900 on his birthday last year. THis year, i'm halving it. So it's no big deal. In fact, if not for the fact that failed maths once too often in school, i would have thought i did my sums pretty well and i was getting a great deal out of this. But, how deep does the brotherhood go? How much would a guy spend on another guy's birthday. We're talking about two men, straight as an arrow here. So, should i go ahead and buy my present, collect like a hundred from TG, get him to sign his name on the card and give it to Superman, or should i go hunt for another present that is less pricey. But it goes back to my fundamental problem. What do you get for a guy that has everything he needs and whatever he wants, he'll probably attain it way before the bank stops charging me for insufficient funds? Moral of the story, don't adopt friends who are richer then you. That way, during their birthdays, there is at least a wish list that is at the very least affordable.
Alright. Enough rumblings for the night
On a last note, i really want to know the truth. But, can you ease the hurt that comes together with it? Like going to macdonalds for a extra value meal. I just like the sausage mcmuffin with egg. No hashbrowns please. They taste disgusting. You get the idea............

No comments: