Friday, October 07, 2005

Its not the same anymore

When we were kids.. we would say to our friends, lets be Friends Forever and sometimes, we don't really mean it, not because we are unkind or mean but we were too young to really understand the meaning of being someone's friend and being there for that person. As we grow older, we begin to understand the meaning of the two words, its not as simple as they sound or they use to be. Its about supporting someone mentally, emotionally and being there each time they need someone to talk to. I found that over the years, there are a few people in my life that I truly call friends and there are some people that i know i can count on when I am feeling like a piece of shit or when the shit hits the fan.
I have a friend whom I know for 13 years, we use to be really really close, we will talk on the phone everyday and we will update each other on the slightest and newest news / gossip. As we grew older, Keeping in touch proved to be difficult but I made all possible efforts. We remained close. To a certain point, I felt that it was I who was maintaining the friendship and keeping the communications between the two of us. Last night, I thought of something not quite pleasant and I realised that the old me would run to the phone and call my friend. Instead, I found myself not wanting to go near the phone. It became really apparent that 'its just not the same anymore'. Its sad... But people grow and people change...
Then I thought of the other close friend I have in my life and I realised that even not meeting them for weeks does not change the fact that we are still there for each other. Some of my closest friends are not even in the same country as I am ! For that, I am really thankful, for that, I wish that our friendship will grow stronger with each year.
Then i thought of another friend. Someone i met in the recent history and i realised that the dynamics were all wrong. How can there be wrong or right in a friendship? Silly me, and yet, i found it hilarious that i went to this friend when i first found out that i was losing my job. Someone i viewed as a close friend, did nothing to make me feel better. Maybe its the difference in gender?
What is it about the people that we meet after we leave school? I tend to think that the best friends we made were those we made as friends from school. Things didn't use to be as complicated, there weren't that many commitments and there weren't that many obstacles in a friendship. I guess ignorance is bliss. Or that was what was meant by it. Over the years, people come and people go. Its stop affecting me as i rationalize it away. Friends are people that walk a particular path with you. And sometimes, at some point, they will just have to walk their own path and i would have to walk mine. And i asked myself this question today. If a friend needs to walk his/her path, then it is their calling. Should i feel sad, i guess maybe. But in the greater scheme of things, its for their best and thats what friends often say to each other.
Had a small gathering this evening with the girls from secondary school. Each has become more successful then when they were in school. Somehow, i cannot stop that question from creeping into my mind. What happened to me?

No comments: