Sunday, January 27, 2008

Eventful day

Woke up early this morning, partly due to the fact that i was nervous and didn't sleep well. Oh well, its been a long long time since i could say i took part in anything. And considering this is my first ever biathlon, i was nervous yet excited at the same time. Reached the pool, realized that there were many people taking part in the biathlon. Kids, adults. Whoa... By this time, i was jittery already. As usual, 1 million and 1 crazy thoughts flew past my head with the most prominent one, what if i come in last?
There wasn't really anyone i knew when i reached. So it felt like one of those obscure races i did when i was younger. And i didn't really know anyone or they were way older then me. Except this time, there were lots of people my age just that i didn't know them. But then again, i'm new. So i guess after a couple more races, i'll start seeing more familiar faces. My race no was 426. Didn't manage to get my swim timing. But i reckon i was doing about mid 18-19 min. And the run time was 34.46. So i made the run but didn't make the swim. But can only confirm after the 15th when the results come out. My transition was slow. Need to work on that. Plus, i have a lot of abrasions. So i really need to get proper and decent gear. But all in all, very fulfilling. Tired as hell though...
And i have a new scar to show off for my first ever biathlon. I really think i'm quite a klutz. Wonder how i survived sports all those years growing up. Always a new injury every time. Anyway, after the swim, while i was climbing out of the pool, i lost my balance, fell and scraped my hand against the floor. And the floor was really rough and so some skin came off. And it was bleeding while i was running. But i'm glad i completed the race. And i'm even more impressed about how much i really wanted to do it, coz i don't remember the pain at all throughout the run leg. It was only when i was showering did i begin to feel the pain. Either i was super charged with adrenaline or my nerves take way too long to register. Haa...
Came back, took a short nap. Then it was time to go for Marcus' wedding.
Met quite a couple of school mates as the bride was from the same secondary school. Small world. And the more amazing thing was that Marcus' parents still remember me. Faint.. Guess i haven't changed all that much since primary school. As usual, it was a great catch up session although i am pretty certain i underpacked in the ang pao department. Packed the SOP amount. But after dinner, i felt like it wasn't enough. Wanted to get another ang pao and all chip in. (those pri sch mates at the table) But then we decided since they are a rich family, its fine. Haa... What an excuse.

Had a great time in general. Decided to come straight home after the wedding. Hoping to do a short run tomorrow before heading out for a lunch appointment. Actually pretty excited to try out the new nike shoes and the nike+. Hope to catch a show tomorrow as well. Anyone hasn't caught the show American Gangster yet and would like to watch it?
All in all, i'll say today in general was a great day. Aside from the scar on the hand, the bad abrasions, i feel great. But today also showed me that i need to really improve on my run. Coz having a strong run leg is more advantageous then having a strong swim leg. Not that my swim is very strong lah.. But i think i need to be able to keep mid pack on the runs... Eh... i guess this is it. Nitez!

Updated 10 Feb: Race results were out although there was no specific breakdown of the swim, transition and run. My total time was 55 min 04s. I know i did my run in close to 35 min, and my transition was pretty long, so i suppose my swim was about 17min. There were 15 women competitiors, and i came in 10th. So i suppose for my first race, that is pretty decent!

No comments: