Saturday, January 12, 2008

A simple reason is reason enough?

I posted on the forum today asking people what was their reason and motivation for doing the triathlon and the IM. There have been many helpful people who have shared their personal stories. But it was one post that struck me.
All along, my belief is that completing a triathlon or IM was a really difficult task. And people do so because of a huge motivation/reason. I was amazed to find out that many people had simple reasons for doing something that i deemed to be rather difficult.
And after spending the whole day thinking about my reason for wanting to do the triathlon, i have finally found my answer. I think it all began in 1999 at the old SPE pool. Where i met uncle Tim. He had just graduated from SPE then. And in his uni days, he was actively playing rugby and doing triathlons. Actually, he was the reason why i was inspired to pick up rugby then. I remember having nothing much to do then, as i was waiting for my A level results and was single during that period too. So, everyday, i would take a bus to the old SPE to swim, then run or run then swim, have lunch, take a nap and hit the gym. And one day at the pool i met Uncle Tim. We started talking and started doing our swims, runs, lunch and gym sessions together and he encouraged me to do my first biathlon. But i never got down to it. I remember he said at that point of time that he felt that i was mentally quite weak. And after i had put my mind to it, and finished the biathlon, then i would realise that there was a lot more that i was capable of and i would finally be able to walk away from Guardian. Yes.. He was in my life for 3 years by then already!
I went to uni in July but never did a biathlon or triathlon. So, for many years now, its been on my to do list. So after one solid day of figuring it out, i guess my initial reason for doing the biathlon boils down to this two reason. One is coz i had nothing better to do then and i met Uncle Tim.(Peer Influence?) while the second is that i take completing a biathlon/triathlon/IM as being able to finally walk away from Guardian.
So, the question is, am i ready?

No comments: