Thursday, June 19, 2008

The never ending cycle

Sometimes i wonder how two people who fight so much and so hard can actually stay together for so long. Came home to shouts, chairs on the floor, doors being slammed. Over the years, i've become used to this. And although i've heard the fights and the arguments a million and one times, i will always still sit down and listen. I suppose also because i know for a fact that despite all the drama, in their own ways, they still loved one another. If not, there would be no fights.
I remembered a time where i used to panic, used to be really worried. Another drama was about to unfold. I remembered the times where i would get really scared. After all, i've always veered towards the more peace-loving side thinking that it is sometimes better to walk away from a fight when both parties are heated and talk when both are willing to listen. But i guess also, it's been so many years, the cycle has repeated itself over and over again, that i'm no longer scared now. I no longer need someone to call or someone to talk to after they have fought. Or when i come home to see so much anger and frustration among them. I play my part now to pull them apart and listen to their version of the story. I bring one out of the house or ask to go for a walk or coffee with the other. And when i think that things are better, we all head home and pretend we are a family unit all over again. And i curl up in my room and pretend to be asleep coz i'm just so tired of hearing the same story and watching the same scene repeat itself over and over again. Then as usual, i hear the fight and the shouts coming from outside the door. And i brace myself for one party to enter my room and for them to bring the fight into my room. For them to shout until one party is too tired to shout, too tired to fight and for them to leave my room so i can sleep.
On the nights that they sleep in separate rooms, i wait for the drama to unfold when it's close to 2-3am in the morning. Then it is finally my turn to lose my cool coz i am tired and irritable and all i really want to do is go to sleep. But there is a soft side of me that cannot bear to let anything bad happen and so i will get out of bed, open the door and see that they are fine. And then, 4am comes, everyone is exhausted, and we all go to bed finally.
I suppose to me, it is obvious from the voracity of their fights that they still love and care for each other. In a rather warped sense, i suppose if they didn't they would not bother to fight any longer. I know of couples who have stopped caring, and they stop fighting. In fact, they stop talking altogether. But it's not the case here. They fight with such intensity that i know they both still care. Or maybe i want to believe that they still care. Maybe they're not the only ones who need to learn to move on and get over it. Maybe they are not only the ones who have not come to terms with what's happening and where the relationship is heading.
As i watch this cycle/scene repeat itself over and over again, i cannot help but ask myself, how differently am i conducting the affairs of my personal life? Would i be so desperately unhappy one day and not have the courage to walk away? Or would the end of such a long relationship be too painful to bear that running away from this world seems to be the easiest solution? And i suppose that's probably why people turn to suicide. Probably because they just can't handle it any longer. That no matter which path they choose, the pain is overwhelming. Love hurts.

No comments: