Thursday, July 31, 2008

The maze

Many a times, we have a very myopic vision when something happens and we are smack in the middle of it. It takes a really successful person to take a step back and see things, understand things from a 3rd person point of view, without being emotionally attached to the situation or problem. I remembered a time where i was pretty good at this. And that is probably what makes the difference between the people who are constantly trapped versus the people who get out quite easily.
Have you ever been in a maze? Where at every turn that you turn, you seem to be hitting a dead end? Or did this route seem familiar coz you were there just a couple of minutes ago? Does it make sense for you, in a maze to get your bearings and directions right before you started walking again, maybe making indications at turns that you've been there and so when you next pass the same place, you'll choose to go the other way?
I suppose life is like being in a maze at times. You know where you want to go, you know what you want at the end of day. But the road there is not easy. Not easy as in full of twists and turns, some roads you take a couple more times coz you just weren't too sure. Not easy as in there was no manual that taught us how to get there. I remember once a long time back where i felt that being a parent was the hardest job in the world. And i feel that Mums have it the hardest. Especially the homemakers. Coz not all children came with a manual to teach you what to do, what not to do. Just like in a relationship and in life, if i can chunk it up, there is no manual to teach you what to do. Like if face with this problem, press button A. After you press button A, lift up lid, then remove jammed materials. But here's the thing. Very often, we forget that the things that we deemed of as the hardest are actually not that hard. That if you take a step back, very often you see what exactly is the problem and you will find a solution. Remember my first premise about not being emotionally attached though.
I see my life as a maze at times. Where i end up taking the same route a couple of times because i just haven't gotten any wiser. Or basically, because i'm just blindly finding my way around, hoping to eventually reach the end. But even the mice in the maze knows that that's not the way to do things. So why not me? In my life, i've been down some roads so many times it's no longer funny. The first time was funny, the second time hilarious, the 3rd time, i can only wonder why i haven't become any wiser? I remember this saying distinctly. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me!
So, if life was merely a maze and so were relationships, then it makes perfect sense for me to take a step back once in a while, get my bearings right, reevaluate where i want to go, how i want to go, carry certain makers with me to indicate i've walked down that road before and stopped going back down the same road, coz obviously if that road didn't take me to where i wanted to in the first place, it wasn't going to the second, third, fourth time round. There i said it. Only idiots do the same thing over and over again hoping for a different result. Or insane people for that matter. Time to get the brain fired up and ready to move and work!

Suddenly thought of reading who moved my cheese once again! Short post. Going to read before bed. =)

No comments: