Wednesday, July 09, 2008

What is Love?

Love once left me cold and gray
I had almost reached heaven
Just to feel it slip away
But life's too short to waste away
Being scared to take chances
Or so I've heard wise men say

I wanna be loved
Faithful and true
I wanna be loved
Ten million lifetimes with you
I wanna be loved
And after all I've been through
I'll let my heart take it's chances, just to be loved by you

I wanna feel there's a reason for living again
I want us to fly far away
And I want my heart to sing the words only you can understand
So put your hand in mine, say a prayer tonight
So that we may find love

This question has popped up in my head many times of late. I guess i have never been someone to chase something so transient. I've always been more of a proof speaks sort of person. So what exactly is love? How do you know it exists? How do you for 1 second know that what you feel for the other person is love and not just a crush, an infatuation. How do you know that your other half loves you?
There have been many theories about love throughout time. Some say better to have loved and lost. Some say, love makes the world go round. So many theories, but question is, who is right and who is wrong?
Someone once told me love was a really beautiful thing. Each day seems brighter, your mood seems happier, you brighten up much more. The world seems like a more beautiful place just coz you're in love. There seems to be nothing in the world that will seem like a problem for you and your loved one. With the combined effort and love, anything can be solved. If love was so beautiful, why do so many people get hurt in the process of love? Is it merely because it was not love to begin with? Then how do you know what, when, how love is?
In many ways, love revolves around a similar theory akin to religion. Faith. How do you know? I've asked the question a million times over while i was struggling with GOD. How do i know GOD exists? How do i know he's there? How do i know he's heard each and every prayer that i earnestly prayed last thing before i sleep and first thing i did in the morning? How did GOD know whether i attended church or not? How did he know if i tithed in church? How did he know whether i did a good deed today or schemed against someone? How? How? How? And if he exists, then why is there evil in the world? After all, GOD embodies everything that is good and great? If he allows evil, then does that make him evil as well?
For me, love runs along a parallel line to faith. People tell me you just know. But what if i told you, i didn't? I feel like i'm back in school all over again and when i asked a particular question, my teachers would tell me, oh.. you just know. Eh.. It's precisely because i didn't know that's why i asked. If i knew, i wouldn't need to ask right? So, my question is, how do you know that you're in love? Does the world stop spinning? Does time stand still?
Alright, i'm probably sounding really weird right now. I think the question that i want to really ask is, how do i know i'm in love with a person? Other then the fact that i want to see the person every day, every minute. Other then the fact that i enjoy his company really much. Other then the fact that i never get tired of seeing the same face over and over again. Other then the fact that i wish day and night that his face would be the last face i see before i sleep, his lips, the last i kiss before i head off to dreamland, and his face the first face i see in the morning when i open my eyes. How do i know? How can you be sure that that is love?
If love is meant to be a smooth sailing ride, then i guess ours is not a love at all. If love is meant to be painful, then why fall in love? Alright, hell lot of contradictions here. Is love meant to be contradictory? Maybe.. who knows? You tell me. What is love?

No comments: